Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo


If you find yourself being excluded from school, RIASS can support with this.

There are two types of exclusion – fixed term and permanent.

Fixed Term

If you are excluded for a few days this is known as a fixed term  


A permanent exclusion is where you are told you cannot come back to the school or college. This is also called being expelled. There are lots of things the school and college is legally required to do when you are permanently excluded.

If you have been asked to attend a meeting with the school or college about being excluded either permanently or fixed term, then we can support you to these meetings and help you understand the reasons why this has happened.

You can only be excluded for disciplinary reasons, you cannot be excluded because a school, or college cannot meet your support needs.

If you find yourself faced with an exclusion (no matter for how long), if the school have told you to go home to “cool off” or, if you are told you can only come in to school or college part time, then please contact RIASS and we can tell you if the school or college can do this.

New updated guidance from DfE regarding Permanent Exclusions

Related PDF Leaflets