Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo


Moving from child to adult services

If you are likely to have needs when you turn 18, the local authority must carry out a “child’s needs assessment” before then to determine what these will be.

These assessments will give you an idea of the help that you can expect when you move into adult care and support. After the assessment, the local authority should draw up a care and support plan; this may include a personal budget or direct payments to meet some of your needs.

There is no specific age or time before your 18th birthday at which the assessment must take place. These assessments take place when it is easier to understand what your needs will be beyond the age of 18.

For children with Education, Health and Care plans, it is likely that they will take place during the transition process, from Year 9 onwards.

Where possible, efforts should be made to involve you in making decisions about yourself. This might require the services of an independent advocacy organisation to ensure your views are heard and taken into account when making key decisions about your life.