Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo

Continuing Care

What is Continuing Healthcare?

NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) is a package of care provided outside of hospital. It is arranged and funded by NHS North East London Foundation Trust (NELFT) for people aged 18 years and over who have significant ongoing healthcare needs and have been assessed as having a ‘primary health need’.

People who are assessed for CHC include those who need a very high level of support. Some people may be reaching the end of their lives, or have long-term conditions as a result of a disability, accident or illness. When someone is assessed as eligible for CHC, their local Integrated Care Board (ICB) is responsible for funding their full package of health and social care. 

This means that the ICB will find suitable care to meet someone’s assessed needs. The ICB will always try to give options and choices that best match the patient and family’s preferences for the type and place of care provided.

Who is eligible for NHS continuing healthcare?

For example someone eligible: 

  • Could have long-term conditions due to a disability, illness or accident
  • Or could be reaching the end of their lives

The CCG will find the most suitable care package to meet your assessed needs in any setting, such:

  • In your own home: services from a community nurse and personal care, such as help with bathing and dressing.
  • In a care home: as well as healthcare and personal care, the NHS will pay for your care home fees, including board and accommodation.

How is continuing healthcare assessed?

In order to receive NHS CHC funding, individuals have to be assessed by North East London according to a legally prescribed decision-making process to determine whether the individual has a ‘primary health need’. 

If you would like to have a continuing healthcare assessment for yourself, a family member or for a person you care for, you can speak to:

  • Your social worker (if applicable)
  • A member of the clinical team involved in your care

Take a look at NELFT for more information on who to contact in your borough