Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo


Most children with SEND can have their needs successfully met in mainstream schools. All mainstream schools are provided with resources to support those with additional needs.

This is possible because mainstream schools have an amount identified within their overall budget, called the SEN budget to provide support to children and young people with SEND. 

It is a good idea to visit as many different types of school as possible, so that you can see what is available and decide what features you think are important, and which setting can offer the right environment for your child’s or young person's needs.

All schools must produce a SEN Information report outlining their policies regarding special educational needs. Links to all SEN info reports for Redbridge schools can be found on Redbridge’s Local Offer.

Download our leaflet – Visiting a school

SEN Support

All mainstream schools must and should provide SEN Support for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN). This would be led by the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator).

The purpose of SEN support is to help children achieve outcomes or learning objectives set for them by the school together with parents and pupils themselves.

SEN support can take many forms, including: 

  • a special learning programme for your child
  • extra help from a teacher or a learning support assistant (LSA)
  • making or changing materials and equipment accordingly
  • working with your child in a small group
  • observing your child in class or at break and keeping records
  • helping your child to take part in the class activities
  • making sure your child has understood things by encouraging them to ask questions
  • helping other children work with your child, or play with them at break time
  • supporting your child with physical or personal care, such as eating, getting around school safely, toileting or dressing
  • advice and/or extra help from specialists such as specialist teachers, educational psychologists, and therapists.

When a school want to call in specialists, they should discuss and agree this with you.

Your child's school must tell you if your child is receiving any special educational provision through SEN support.

If you are not happy about the support your child has you can ask to talk to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), head teacher or contact RIASS.