Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo

Transition from Children to Adult Social Care

The Children and Families Act and Care Act of 2014 states that children and young people who meet the threshold for being disabled can be provided with services by Children’s Social Care up until the age of 18.  From 18 years old this service will be provided by Adult Social Care.

Between the ages of 16 and 18 the young person will start a transition to adult services.  

Transition Assessment

A Transition Assessment will take place 3 months prior to the young persons 18th birthday (Redbridge policy). 

The assessment should provide advice and information about what can be done to meet or reduce the person's needs, as well as what they can do to stay well and prevent or delay the development of needs.

A young person receiving children's services will continue to receive them during the assessment process, either until the adult care and support is in place to take over, or until it's clear after the assessment that adult care and support doesn't need to be provided.

If the young adult is not eligible for council funded support services, the social worker, advisor or care managers may explore what other options are available from local voluntary sector agencies and also signpost him/her towards support that you can access.

A Carer’s Assessment is offered to parents/carers as the young person approaches 18 as their situation will potentially be changing dramatically, which means the carer’s needs may change too.

You can find out more on Redbridge's Transition pages on the Local Offer