Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo

Asking for help in school

Under construction - draft page

If you need help with your learning in school or college you need to tell someone as soon as possible.  It is ok to ask for help.

You should tell your parent, carer, teacher or a helper.

Every school or college can give you help if you need it.  This is often called SEN support.

SEN stands for special educational needs.

Every school or college has a person that is in charge of SEN support.  This person is often called the SENCo.  That’s a Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator.

The person in charge of SEN will speak with you, your teachers and your parents or carer.  They find out what kind of help you need and how they can help you the best.

Once they have found out what help you need, they must make sure that they tell your teachers all about this and that they give you the help that you need.

The teachers and the SENCo must check with you regularly to make sure that the support you are getting is helping you and that you are happy in school.

The SENCo may create a plan about you that can be shared with the teachers and other people who support you at school.  This is sometimes called an IEP, an Individual Education Plan or a Pupil Profile.

There may be times when you need more support than the school can give you. The school or your parent and carers may request a needs assessment so that all your support needs can be identified and some children and young people may end up having an Education Health and Care Plan.

The school and your parents and carers will talk to you about this.