Skip to Content

This website uses Cookies you can control them from this page: Cookies Page

Functionality Cookies Performance Cookies Targeting Cookies
RIASS Redbridge
RIASS logo

Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

EPs work with children and young people aged 0 - 25 years with a range of different needs. EPs also work with parents, teachers and other adults too. They all work together to try and help your child/young person in school or college. EPs have a degree in psychology and have undertaken professional training in educational psychology.  

What kinds of issues do psychologists help with?

Psychologists support on a broad range of issues.  

  • Learning
  • Relationships with other children
  • Behaviour in school
  • Communication
  • Sensory or physical difficulties

They also help support schools to help meet your child’s needs more effectively by providing training to staff.

How do they get involved with your child?

Every school has an EP assigned to them. They visit the school regularly. If the school has concerns about your child, they should first discuss this with you and try a variety of ways to make the situation better. If  there are continuing concerns, the school may seek your permission to involve the Educational Psychologist.  You will be asked to sign a consent form.

What will happen next?

Your child’s teacher will have a meeting with the EP to discuss their concerns about your child and how they can help.  The school will let you know what has been planned at the meeting.   Depending on the circumstances, the EP may have a meeting with you and/or with your child, or the EP may continue to work with the class teacher only.

How will this help your child?

The Educational Psychologist will collect information about your child to help plan the best way forward to support your child and complete a report. This will be included in your child's Individual Education Plan (IEP) or EHCP.

Educational Psychologists gather information regarding children in a variety of ways. 

  • Observe them in the classroom or playground
  • Talk to the teacher about what happens in the classroom
  • Ask your child for their views about what is happening in school
  • Ask you about your child’s strengths and difficulties
  • Ask the school or other professionals to collect specific information

Educational Psychologists provide the school with written feedback about their involvement, which can also be made available to you.

Can you contact the Educational Psychologist directly?

You are encouraged to contact your child’s school about your concerns.  The school will discuss with you whether it is appropriate to involve the Educational Psychologists at this stage.  In some circumstances, you may find it helpful to contact the Educational Psychology Service direct to ask for general advice.